Standing tall at 6'3", I felt cramped in my shower. It turns out I wasn't alone -- not in a Psycho kind of way -- but that millions of bathers of all shapes and sizes would love more shower space. I wanted to avoid the remodeling hassle, expense, tile damage and ecological wastefulness of a curved shower rod. So I wondered ... why not just curve the curtain?
My Eureka moment came while standing in the shower. Pleating! I quickly dried off and started cutting and folding sheets of plastic. But like an Origami puzzle, it was really hard! From my small studio in Manhattan's Lower East Side, I agonized over endless shapes, materials and designs. All failures! But I didn't give up. Eventually -- 2 years, actually -- I found the perfectly balanced shape. I taped up a prototype and ... it worked! The pleats and simple force of gravity created a soft natural curve. This was my first working prototype in early 2016.
Now I needed to make more for testing. In May 2016, I hand-made 10 curtains, 3D-printed 60 rings -- thank you, John at Voxel Magic! -- and snapped them onto 60 hand-cut pleats. It took me 3 months. Then I asked 10 friends and neighbors to test these more advanced prototypes. They loved them! I made some minor adjustments with their valuable feedback. By July, after an unexpected review in Gizmodo, pre-orders came in from my website. But I wasn't ready. Until then, I had been 100% self-funded, paying for patenting, prototyping, testing and more... but now, I urgently needed more funds for manufacturing setup, liability insurance and shipping costs. So I opened a crowdlending campaign; 115 small lenders (most of them complete strangers) helped me reach my $9,000 goal in 48 hours!
I shipped in October 2016. It earned great reviews, averaging 4.5 out of 5 stars. Customers made some final suggestions, which required more design work than I anticipated. In fact, it was to improve durability and manufacturability (to keep costs low).
All the extra development time was worth it, because it led to the "pleated window" version you see now. So in January 2018, I launched a Kickstarter campaign which funded 100% in 3 days. With my new team, we spent the summer tooling up, and we shipped in Fall 2018.